Saturday, April 28, 2012

Text Alert

I'm a holler-er.

I suppose it would best if I were a get-up-off-the-couch-er, but especially at nine months pregnant I prefer to stay on the couch and shout for my teenage son to come to me. (OK, I've been using the pregnancy excuse for months.)

I used to think it highly odd when family and friends would call each other on their cell phones inside their homes. But I suppose that's quieter.

Just recently, I've succumbed to the temptation and used my cell phone to call from my bed upstairs while my husband is downstairs, or to call Gabe to get him up out of his own bed after the third time I've heard him hit his snooze button.

And then there's texting. My husband hates it, but my son is a more willing conversationalist. It also helps facilitate the exchange of information since I'm usually long gone from the house before he even wakes up, or he has gone off to the farm or to his dad's house before I return from work and running errands.

I've been saving a thread between us since the day I found out the gender of his sibling, when he was out of town for the weekend with his father. It's a wonderful glimpse into our relationship:

Dec. 21, 2011

Me: You're going to have a brother!

Gabe: Wow I can't believe it thats wonderful :)

Me: You're sweet!

Gabe: I know. I love you and my dad says congratulations

Me: Tell him thanks, and please share news with [stepmother] Jackie.

Gabe: Ok love you

Me: I love you too

Dec. 22, 2011

Gabe: What should I get you for Christmas? Or I guess I should say what do you want?

Me: How about some slippers? Or I could use some good lotion (non-scented).

Gabe: Ok love you

Me: Love you too!

Jan. 1, 2012

Me: Happy New Year! Please call Grandpa & ask him to pick you up from church. I'm not feeling well this morning.

Gabe: Ok

Jan. 9, 2012

Me: Get up

Gabe: Ok

Jan. 13, 2012

Me: Plz remember to get haircut

Feb. 3, 2012

Me: You have to keep an eye on [our puppy] Hippo outside to make sure other dogs don't come over while she is in heat. She'll get pregnant!

Feb. 8, 2012

Me: Good morning. Excuse note on kitchen table.

Gabe: Ok

Gabe: Thanks I love u

Me: Love you too!

Feb. 14, 2012

Me: You have a 2-hour delay

Feb. 23, 2012

Gabe: Just to remind u I have a movie thing to do today il call when its done

Feb. 27, 2012

Me: Get up

March 29, 2012

Me: Don't tell Grandpa you can go to farm today (Thu). You have foot appointment.

Gabe: Ok

March 31, 2012

Gabe: Be back around 10:30

Me: OK. I'll send Dan.

April 2, 2012

Gabe: Don't forget to write a note for my dentist appointment

Me: Wake me at 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment