Monday, April 16, 2012

I Brake for Baby Shower Themes

Trick of the trade: Throw a party in a church that is
already decorated for a special season. Flowers abound.
This could be an obligatory post about my baby shower, but secretly I love this shit.

OK, it's not a secret. Those who know me know how much I love to throw themed parties. And since I love babies so much, throwing themed baby showers is the ultimate gift that keeps on giving. The honored guest gets a great party and I get to throw said great party.

My cousin Amanda and good friend Jan ostensibly hosted my baby shower, held at my church. They did so because they are the people who love me enough to let me pretty much throw it for myself.

Now, I like help as much as the next person. That slideshow didn't put itself together, those game prizes didn't materialize out of thin air, and those tables and chairs didn't magically appear in the right places. Any hugely pregnant woman who really does everything herself is a sad creature with a heap of disappointment in store. And likely a hernia.

But I admit to designing and printing the invitations myself. My cousin dutifully took the RSVPs but forwarded them to me so that I could happily fill in my spreadsheet. I planned the menu, ordered the cookies, arranged the flower centerpieces. I raided my home for nautical decorations and searched every store until I found just the right compass favor.

However did I throw parties before Pinterest showed
me how to make sailboat tea sandwiches?
I think I found the confidence (hubris?) to do this because I know my family and friends were with me every step of the way. Niece Maddie was with me on my trip to pick out napkins and plates and the like. All I had to do was email friend Jan the pictures and video links I wanted projected, and she figured out how to make it happen. Amanda got the game supplies and wrapped the prizes, and she made a darling diaper cake. Son Gabe and two buddies from church transformed the space into party central by lugging around the tables and chairs. My mother-in-law, who flew across the country as a surprise, helped pre-assemble food. Sister Kendra kept the list as I opened gifts and wisely asked someone to bring me a tray. ("Well, she has no lap!") Friend Joy handled all the wrapping, tissue paper and gift bags as I tore into the presents, and friend Marlena was the official photographer. I couldn't have had a better host at the church than its pastor -- my own mother -- who makes guests feel welcome there every week and knows how to work the coffee maker.

Sure there were sailboats and shells and fishing nets artfully placed, but that's not what made it a great party. The beloved family and friends who were there, in the room and in well-wished spirit, created the joy and merriment. The baby was blessed by their presence, not their presents.

May this carry on throughout the years, with every themed birthday party I will happily throw for as many years as my son will let me.

No comments:

Post a Comment